James A. Hudson’s photography projects are often inspired by literature or history and usually consist of sequences of un-staged images. His practice is rooted in documentary photography but does not always pertain to be journalistic or objective. Artist in residence at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford in 2010-11, he produces books, prints, booklets and moving image projects that have been featured in a range of exhibitions, festivals, and publications. Currently pursuing an MA at the University of the West of England in Bristol where his main project is looking into completing an unfinished Mary Wollstonecraft novel with a sequence of images.
Now based in Bristol, he has photographed documentary projects for a variety of organisations including Capita Symonds, The Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, The Ashmolean Museum, Lynas Smith Architects, Arts Alive Wales, AF Construction, The University of Oxford, Gardiner & Theobald LLP and Monmouthshire Museums.
- Diffusion: Cardiff International Festival of Photography | Wales Millennium Centre | 1-31 May 2017.
- London Festival of Architecture | Arthaus Building, Hackney, London | November 2016.
- Transitions | Menier Gallery, London | 4-9 April 2016.
- Made in Wales II: A Fine Beginning presents contemporary Welsh photography | Various locations | September 2015 – April 2016.
- ESPY Photography Award 2014 – Rural & Urban (Shortlisted) | Elysium Gallery, Swansea | 8-30 March 2014.
- Factory: FORMAT International Photography Festival | Derby | 8 March – 7 April 2013.
- Transitions: Photography from inside the skatepark | Art Workhouse Gallery, Abergavenny | 24 November 2012 – 13 January 2013.
- About Town | Art Jericho, Oxford | 7-28 January 2012.
- Brompton Bicycle Race | Blenheim Palace, Woodstock | 24 June – 16 December 2011.
- Luxury Goods – The Illusion of Art | The Courtyard Theatre, Hoxton, London | 26-30 April 2011.
- The Oxford Christmas Light Night Festival | Ashmolean Museum, Oxford | 26 November 2010.
- Revolution | The Jam Factory, Oxford | 1-29 November 2010.
- Luxury Goods – The Meaning of Art | The Foundry, Hoxton, London | 9-13 September 2009.
Talks, Lectures & Residencies:
- B&W Photography | Royal Automobile Club | 8 November 2016.
- Practice Intro | University of Derby | 6 March 2013.
- Forum | FFotogallery, Cardiff | 31 January 2013.
- Artist in Residence | Ashmolean Museum of Art & Archeology | 2010-2011.